August 2, 2017

Broken Age

Date played: August 1st
Platform: PS4

Shay is making big changes in his boring spaceship life. The wolf explained that there is a large scale war going on against the cute little creatures I've been saving. To stop the war, we must take over the ship and reach the Prima Doom, a restricted solar system. This meant many interesting little tasks.

First up, I had to install some headphones on the ship's fusion core to turn off the ship's shields. To do this, I had to find myself a helmet since the place is too irradiated to walk into. I found a weird looking little helmet, but it was way too small for Shay. The ship has a set of 3 teleporters scattered through it. Each time Shay walks through one of these, his head shrinks a little bit, explained as "physics" by the ship's computer.

I had to find a way to go through teleporters often enough that my head would fit inside the helmet, which meant walking around every nook and cranny of the ship. Eventually, to the sound of the ship's anxious comments, I got my head small enough to fit into the helmet and installed the headphones.

My next task was to travel to Prima Doom, but the Weaver didn't want to since it's a restricted area. This was probably the puzzle that gave me the most trouble in the game so far, as I had to look at the star chart item in my pocket and memorize a pattern. I then had to ask the Weaver to go to one of the "safe" systems, then modify the weave with my crochet hook to match the pattern on the star chart. It was a little confusing, but satisfying to solve.

Finally, I had to find a way to control the ship's boom arms. This was easily the best sequence in the game so far for me. during my exploration of the ship earlier, I picked up a talking knife in the kitchen. This little guy has a lot of attitude too! the talking knife seems intent on stabbing or cutting everything in sight, and his voice clearly reflects that... I also carried around Gary, a little robot with 4 arms that likes grabbing things, but so far, had not been helpful at all.
This was my favorite puzzle so far
I had to go to the airlock and find a way to reach the boom arm controls, but I was tethered to the ship by my air supply tube. Thinking I was all smart, I used my chatty knife friend to cut the tube, but I just ran out of air and the ship's computer had to pick me up. Next, I connected my can of compressed air to my helmet, which worked. However, when I launched myself into the air, I had no control over my movement and was picked up once more by the computer.

Finally, I added the whipped cream gun to my belt and was able to navigate in zero gravity on the ship's hull. Gary finally did his job and used his little grabby arms to activate the boom arm. I was then able to save some of the little creatures in the Prima Doom system.

Then some crazy stuff happened... The ship was attacked by something. I think the wolf is dead, and I was thrown outside the ship. There was a very cool scene where a mysterious glowing entity crowns over the ship, emanating a dark, dangerous looking light...

The game then cut to black, and forced me to play the girl's story. I stopped playing there, but I assume the two stories will connect with each other at one point. I can't wait to learn about the girl's story though, I'm sure it's going to be great.