August 18, 2017

Paper Mario Color Splash

Date played: August 17th
Platform: Wii U

I played through a single level of Color Splash with my daughter yesterday. It was set in a sort of fortress, guarded by Spinys and Spikes. The Spinys have spikes on them, so I can't jump on their heads. The Spikes are easier, but have more HP and can throw some spiked balls at Mario.

Unfortunately, most of the level was actually really fucking boring. There wasn't much that looked interesting visually, the music wasn't as amazing as usual and the enemies were a little bit frustrating to fight, since I had to use my hammer cards all the time.
I fought so many of these Spiny and Spike enemies...

The only interesting element to this level was the inclusion of some cylindrical cardboard rolls that can be used as a transportation method of Mario, allowing him to walk on spiked floors. It can also be used as a movable platform to reach new areas. While the mechanic is pretty fun, the controls for it are a little rough since it's a bit hard to evaluate depth perception when riding the little cylinders.

The boss was hidden at the bottom of the fortress, near some lava. The boss was a giant Spiny, with a LOT of health and some very dangerous attacks. Thankfully, I still had some POW blocks cards in my inventory, which will flip the Spiny over and give me a good opening to attack with powerful jump attacks. After beating it, we got ourselves a new paint star and a new road appeared on the world map. It's too bad that this level was boring, but I'm sure there's some great stuff ahead.