August 11, 2017

Broken Age

Date played: August 9th
Platform: PS4

Shay continued exploring the new world he was thrown in. I actually ended up exploring the entire area, including every inch of Shellmound, the lumberjack's house and the cloud village. Along the way, I was surprised to find Vella's family searching for her.

I did a wide variety of things, gaining new items or making certain stories progress. For example, I spoke with Vella's mother, who was trying to comfort the Maiden who didn't get eaten in the cloud city. The discussion eventually led to the girl's love of sewing, so she agreed to help me make a new radiation suit, which we need for Alex (the cryo guy) back at the ship. I have to find her a pattern and some material. The pattern was easy, I just gave her my baby radiation suit, which she will use as a model. I haven't figured out materials yet...

In another segment, I found the two blind kids, Dead Eye Courtney and Dead Eye Dawn, at the peach tree in the cloud city since it was the answer to their riddle. Exploring this area, I also found the weird little guy who likes to eat peaches. He is trying to be healthier, so he drinks an absurd amount of peach juice everyday. I convinced him to give me his juicer, which I used to help a baby bird crack open his egg's shell, which I then stole to be used in my dad's weird concoction.

Another great segment is when Vella's little sister befriends the kid from the cloud village, who end up selling Vella-themed cupcakes to "raise awareness", while simultaneously spitting out some of the game's funniest dialogue, expertly delivered via great voice acting.
The writing in Broken Age is fantastic

I'm also trying to get a stick to duel with the Dead Eye girls, I gotta find a way to make the mayor spit out a bell, I have to build a complex tech device, I am still missing parts for the radiation suit, I've gotta help Brother Lightbeard come down from his weird cloud, which I suspect I'll have to use to get parts at some point. There's so much going on right now! Still, I think I am stuck.

There is one part of the map that I haven't been able to get too, a forest West of Shellmound. Guarding the entrance is a giant snake that attacks on sight and wraps itself around anyone who comes close. I can fend him off by blowing into a nearby tuba (shit maybe it's a French horn?), which attracts the snake's attention. I must be missing something, I just hope I don't have to resort to a walkthrough...