August 16, 2017

Just Dance 2017 demo

Date played: August 16th
Platform: Switch

My daughter has been playing Just Dance in various settings for a while now, at school, day camp, friend's houses, etc. However, we never actually played it together, so I downloaded the demo for the 2017 game and played it's singular song a couple of times. The song in question is none other than teenage bop superhit "Watch Me".
Watch me whip, watch me nae nae

We used the Joy-Con to control the game and had a lot of fun trying to imitate the great dance moves on screen. The pre-recorded video of dancers is quite fantastic and it's use of vibrant colors makes the game look great. The controls seem accurate enough, since my daughter beat me fair and square. Considering the amount of practice she has, I guess I should have expected that, but for one of the first times in my life, I've lost a video game to my daughter without trying. I was very proud!

I'm not a big fan of motion controlled games in general, and I've had my fill of rhythm games for a while thanks to an intense Guitar Hero phase a while back, so Just Dance isn't really for me. It's great for my 7 year old though, as she has been dancing to these songs with her friends for months.