August 24, 2017

A Boy and His Blob

Date played: August 23rd
Platform: PS4

Wow, this game is getting fucking hard yo.

My daughter and I were looking for something to do, and she suggested A Boy and His Blob. We started with the final level of the third world. The level itself was pretty simple, equipping me with the canon, ladder, trampoline and anvil.

Then we met the boss... This guy was hard as nails, but not cheap like the second world's, or easy like the first's. This was easily the best boss fight in the game so far. I battled against a giant bird of some sort. The flying creature attacked by launching cannon ball enemies at me. I had to set up Blob as a cannon in the path of the cannon. Blob then attacked the boss with it. I then had to climb up to a platform, change Blob into an anvil, then drop him on the boss for a hit.
This boss battle was great!

The problem was that each phase of the battle had a different pattern for the cannon balls. It was already hard enough to dodge them, then set up the cannon in the right position, having them move differently in each phase made the battle way harder. I got through it, but it took persistence and precision.

I faced a similarly difficult situation in the next challenge level, one that was spent entirely in rocket mode. I tried this one so many times, but there was a part at the end that I just couldn't clear, no matter how careful I was. A series of spikes on the ceiling would fall on my head, killing me, in each attempt. After many minutes of frustration, I looked it up online, and found that there was actually a boost button... I feel stupid for not figuring this out, but I also don't think the game ever showed me how to do that, so it felt kind of cheap.

Anyway, the next world is very bleak and right in the first level, shit gets bad. I get separated from Blob, who is now lost. I have to save him! The first level was entirely spent without Blob, featuring a series of more traditional platforming puzzles and challenges. It was a nice change of pace for a single level.

Thankfully, right in the next level, I was given a new ability, and I think it might just be my favorite so far. The shield is a powerful tool that can block enemy attacks, but even better, it can blow up enemies at close range without damaging the boy. It's actually a lot of fun to use, and the animation on it is just fantastic.

Another difficult level had me lining up a very, very precise cannon shot that required a rebound around some quick-moving enemies... This took many, many fucking tries, and honestly, it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Maybe if there had been better checkpoints, it would have been less painful... I got it eventually, but it took way more time than I would have wanted.

The last level we played featured some new mechanics once more. Some new enemies showed up, and they copy my movement exactly. This made for some absolutely insane challenges and some really clever puzzles. Things got even crazier when I got a new jelly bean that turned Blob into a copy of the boy! Again, this allows for some crazy new puzzles. I'm kind of amazed at the variety in this game overall,...