August 13, 2017

A Boy and His Blob

Date played: August 12th
Platform: PS4

My daughter and I were looking for something to do, and we settled on A Boy and His Blob. We did really well, and ended up going through the entire second world, reaching the third world. The second world was set around the city and some rocky cliffs as well as a few creepy caverns. The atmosphere was way darker than the first world, with more somber music and darker levels.

There were also a few new items for Blob to transform into. The first is very much like a giant hamster ball, where Blob opens up his mouth and lets the boy step inside. I can then move much quicker than normal and can destroy some enemies with it. While in concept, this is really cool, in practice, it's a fucking mess. The parts of the game that use this mechanic are by far the worst in the game so far, so it was pretty disappointing.

I got frustrated with this item a few times already, but with practice, perseverance and a bit of luck, I got through it. Even the world's boss heavily relied on this mechanic, which turned it into one of the worst levels in the game. The big quadruped beast charges at the boy, fires projectile attacks and attacks with dark tendrils. On their own, these things aren't too bad, but being stuck in the fucking hamster ball made this battle complete hell.

With a bit of luck, I got through it.

The second item, a mechanical jack, was a lot more fun. I used it to solve a multitude of puzzles, each more intricate than the next. I lifted some rocks to different levels, used the item as a jumping platform, raised some giant rock pillars and even moved a giant monster out of the way with it. I loved every puzzle where I had to use this thing.
A Boy and His Blob is gorgeous, cute and touching

I absolutely loved the introduction to the third world. At the end of the second world, the Blob turns itself into a small rocket and the boy hops on. The next sequence was one of the cutest and prettiest scenes ever, as the duo triumphantly rides out into space, through many solar systems, towards a distant world.

Their destination was none other than Blobolonia, the Blob's home world! This place is absolutely beautiful, with wonderful, colorful backgrounds and tons of fun scenery. There are some other Blobs here also, living in a sort of underground hut. I played one level here, which focused on the rocket ability. This thing is amazing, as it lets the boy fly in any direction for an unlimited amount of time, it's lots of fun to use. I can't wait to explore more of this strange alien world!