August 8, 2017

DOOM

Date played: August 7th
Platform: PS4

I only played for about 30 minutes, but it was a really intense and fun 30 minutes. A good part of my time was spent exploring the area, looking for a yellow key card. In the process, I found myself a nice new gun that is really powerful, an assault rifle. This thing tears through enemies really quickly, but doesn't have that much ammo. Still, it's a great way to take out weak enemies quickly or to really hurt the bigger ones.
Sometimes, DOOM looks nice and quiet, but it never lasts more than a few minutes

I found another "portal" and had to deactivate it, which of course, led to a giant battle against a bunch of demons! It's really hard to write about this game because most of it is just about killing stuff and enjoying the absurdly violent animation. Combat is just so fucking great! The heavy metal music kicks in, then it's killing time. Blood and guts fly all over the place as I make new body cavities in the bodies of demons with my shotgun. It's fucking great! The gory, over the top kill animations are like the cherry on top.

I eventually found the yellow key card, but only after getting scared by a cheap, but very effective, jump scare. In an open area, I was given a temporary powerup to fight some demons. This turned Doomguy into a punching expert with superhuman strength, ripping demons in half with his bare hands! It was so much fun, even if it was super short.

Later, I encountered a new enemy type. It's basically just the buffed up demons, but now they hold a giant energy shield. I had trouble with these guys, but they are pretty slow, so I would often run around them then shoot them with the shotgun. Still, I have to find a better way to handle these guys.

There was a little bit of story at the end of the level, where a mysterious person named Samuel Hayden is telling me that I have to close the gates of hell on Mars. This guy is the chairman of the corporation that leads the mining operations on Mars, but he's also not really a person. I think it's a person that transferred their consciousness into a robot...

Either way, I now have to go turn on some turbines, deactivated by some demons, to restore air flow to the base. Hurt me plenty!