August 20, 2017

A Boy and His Blob

Date played: August 19th
Platform: PS4

I spent a bit of time playing A Boy and His Blob with my daughter yesterday afternoon, but we didn't make much real progress. The main reason is because I went back to two levels in the third world where we had missed some treasure chests. Finding these wasn't too hard, but the bonus levels we unlocked out of it were very difficult.

The first was a simple, but precise drop with the parachute Blob, avoiding enemies along the way and making tight maneuvers. It quickly became a level that's really just about memorizing the path, so after a few tries, I got through safely.
This hidden bonus level required precise controls and careful timing

The second bonus level was even harder... Armed with only an anvil and a trampoline, I had to fall down tall cliffs and get through dangerously precise puzzles. The problem was that I often couldn't see the bottom of the pits, so I would throw a jelly bean down the hole and jump towards it's approximate position.

This led to many, many deaths as I plummeted to my death, hoping to find the trampoline waiting for me at the end. After some trial and error, I had the first part of the level down and was able to get to the end pretty consistently, but that last puzzle just wanted me to fucking fail, repeatedly.

The setup is simple. The final jelly bean is in sight, but it's too high to reach. There's a bunch of spikes on the floor nearby, so I can't get close to it and besides, there are enemies blocking the path anyway. Above my head was a small platform. I reached the platform with the trampoline easily. Then I threw a trampoline jelly bean onto the spikes, approximating where I would need it to be to reach the golden jelly bean. As with other parts of the level though, my view was obscured and I could never see exactly where the trampoline had landed. Then I would blindly jump towards it's location, hoping I was accurate.

I wasn't. Many times. I died so much here, and replayed this level so often... Eventually, I looked it up online, and I was doing it correctly, with one minor difference. It turns out, there's a button to center the camera on Blob! I was not aware of this, and it would have made many earlier sections easier to handle. Once I added this to my tool set, I cleared the level right away.