August 6, 2017

Broken Age

Date played: August 5th
Platform: PS4

I began the girl's story in Broken Age. Vella is a beautiful young woman is lives in a place filled with sugar. Cakes and baking seem to be the village's specialty. Every generation, the village must offer young women as offerings to a giant monster named Mog Chothra. Unfortunately for Vella, she was chosen as one of the five girls to be devoured by the beast.

The atmosphere in the village isn't grim at all though, most people treat this event as a holiday of sorts, with many festivities and lots and lots of cake. After a few conversations and a quick search for a hidden knife to cut some cake, it was time for the Feast.

Presented to Mog Chothra were all the women, all dressed up and made to look appetizing. This includes some seriously funny text on their big bums and some real fancy dresses. Mog Chothra arrives and proves to be even scarier than I imagined it. It's dozens of dark, menacing eyes, looking at each women with hunger and pleasure.
Vella is "Up for Grabs" for Mog Chothra

I tried many things to escape, but as things progressed, my neighbors were eaten by the monster. I managed to escape by trading some stuff with the women, eventually making my escape with the help of a vulture-like bird nearby. I rode this guy into the clouds and fell onto a bizarre cloud village.

I had to find a way down, so that I could fight Mog Chothra and see my family again. This led to a series of puzzles as I explored the weird but beautiful village. It's inhabitants are pretty much all part of the same cult, where people worship "lightness", going as far as removing some vowels from their names to make themselves "lighter". For example, Father becomes F'ther. It's hilarious and the writing takes full advantage of this stupidity.

Using a variety of items, such as a ladder and some fruit, I managed to find 3 golden eggs. These heavy objects are used by the village to control the bird population a little bit. The leader of the cult lives much higher in the sky, atop a giant ladder. At the bottom of the ladder are three baskets for people to make "offerings". I put my three eggs in there and the weight was just too much for the platform. The leader's ladder dropped from the sky, giving me a way back down to safety.

I fell onto a lumberjack's house, who thought I was a tree, since apparently, the trees like to speak in this part of the world. After a brief encounter with a talking tree who hates humans, I found another village, known as Shellmound. Their Feast hasn't happened yet, it's supposed to be tomorrow, so I figured this would be a good place to start a battle against the monster.

The citizens here are all fishermen and women, and they apparently smell like that too. Vella is being refused entry as a Maiden because she smells too good. I met two weird kids who protect a shrine from outsiders. I gave them a peach from the cloud village to solve their riddle. They then let me through to the shrine, but that's where I stopped playing.