August 25, 2017

Broken Age

Date played: August 24th
Platform: PS4

As Vella, I finally began exploring the ship properly. It wasn't long before I met with the wolf and Mom. Mom has barricaded herself in the control room, saying she isn't sure what's happening, and that she will only come out for Shay. Meanwhile, the wolf is trapped in it's room under a boulder, so I spoke with him a while.

Vella was shocked at the information revealed by the wolf, as it explained much of why Mog Chothra exists, but it's still not super clear at this point. Through a series of teleports and clever dialogue answers, I managed to convince Mom that I was Shay, and she came out, as human as anyone! She wasn't a computer at all, she was just in the control room and viewing the ship through some cameras... It was a pretty cool reveal, and it's silly enough that it's funny, while still making sense to the story.
A number of puzzles made me use the ship's camera system to solve them (That's Vella with the big yellow face!)

Part of this dialogue exchange exposed how bad some of the puzzles in the game are though. Many times, clues are very unclear and there's some guesswork involved. For example, I had to know Shay's favorite plush animal's name, but it wasn't written anywhere in the game. I had to assume from one picture that it was in fact, Mister Huggy. It's funny, but I couldn't have guessed correctly. This happened again with a later puzzle where I had to crochet a new destination on a star chart. The clue was a musical string of notes, which flew right over my head. It seemed obvious after looking it up, but I don't think I would have ever figured it out.

The story got pretty crazy when Mom came out of the control room. It was soon revealed that the wolf was not really a wolf, and was in fact a weird man named Mordecai, who is part of a community known as the Thrush. They have been using the Mog Chothra spaceships to harvest young women for a purpose I didn't quite understand.

Either way, it made for some great scenes, fun puzzles and hilarious dialogue. We have reached the land of the bad guys now, and I am completely stuck. I feel like I need to solve that puzzle with Shay, to rebuild the Hexa-Pal, but I can't figure it out at all...