August 23, 2015

The Order: 1886

Date played: August 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

When The Order: 1886 first came out at the beginning of the year, I was really interested in it. It's a third person shooter set in an alternate history Victorian era London. King Arthur's Knights of the Round are still active and are pitted against a race of half-human, half-beast creatures. Technology has progressed faster than in real life, with airships, radios and other high tech gadgetry being common. The only problem is that after reading some reviews, the game seemed way too short to pay full price. I found it for 20$ on sale this weekend, so at that price, I was happy to pick it up.

The Order is a visual masterpiece. I mean, there's literally no other game out there that looks as pretty as this does. The characters almost look real, the animation is top notch and the environments are absolutely spectacular to look at. Every little detail in this game is just splendid... The story is interesting too, and the characters are well developed and believable.

The Order: 1886 looks absolutely spectacular
It's too bad then that the game itself is just a normal, third person cover based shooter. There's kind of too much exposition and story, and not enough firefights. Some people complain that there's too much combat in games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, but they forget that we're playing a video game here.

Either way, the combat is fun, I just wish there was a bit more of it. There's a heavy weapon, a light weapon and some grenades. The game is cover-based, so it feels like Gears of War a lot, except the enemies are mostly human. I did battle against a Lycan, the half-breed, in a quick-time event heavy knife fight, very reminiscent of the knife fight at the end of Resident Evil 4.

I fought in the streets of London, inside dark tunnels, I visited a bordello (and saw some tits!), I fought in a decaying hospital and more. The coolest chapter so far had me fighting inside a giant dirigible. The art style and interesting characters kept me playing for a long time. I know this game is short, so I don't expect to play it more than 2 or 3 times before I complete it. I'm glad I'm playing this, but I'm also really happy I didn't pay a lot of money for it.