August 20, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Date played: August 19th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I started playing Oracle of Ages, a Game Boy Color Zelda game from Capcom, oddly enough. It has a companion game, Oracle of Seasons, which my friend is currently playing, so it's fun to discuss the differences between the two games.

Oracle of Ages starts with Impa asking Link for help to find Nayru, the titular Oracle of Ages. This is soon revealed to be an elaborate deception, as the body of Impa is possessed by an evil sorceress, Veran. After Link removes a magical barrier for Veran, still thinking she was Impa, the sorceress leaves Impa's body and possesses the Oracle, then jumps through a time portal to the past.

That's when the game really starts. I explored Lynna City, nearby, and met the Maku Tree, an adorable female that helps Link understand what is happening. Shortly after, I went through my first time portal to the past. Lynna City is now Lynna Village. I soon learn that the Oracle is helping the land's Queen, Ambi, build a giant tower to survey the land for her lost husband. The problem is, ever since the possessed Nayru came to the past, time has stopped and night never comes.

The citizens are overworked, trying to build the tower. I explored the build site a little bit, enough to find a shovel that lets me explore more of the world. I went to the Maku Tree and saved her from some beasts. She professes her young love to Link, then gives him an item that can be used to burn small brushes and light lamps. I went back to the present to progress and bought my shield in the process.

The first dungeon was a very basic, very simple dungeon set in a graveyard. Halfway through, I fought a mini-boss and earned the Power Bracelet, which lets me lift pots and push things. The boss of the dungeon was a weird pumpkin-headed creature. After a few hits of the sword, I could lift his pumpkin off and hit him. It was all really simple,  but this is only the very beginning of the game. I received my first "essence", which will somehow help me defeat the evil sorceress.

I like the game so far. It feels like a sequel to Link's Awakening in a lot of ways. The graphics, the map, the way the items work, everything is really close to the classic Game Boy adventure.