December 26, 2017

Yoshi's Story

Date played: December 24th
Platform: Wii U

I was sitting in my living room, looking for something to do. My daughter was playing on the iPad and nothing urgent needed doing, so I picked up the Wii U tablet to fill my time. I ended up playing about an hour of Yoshi's Story, the weird N64 2D platformer. This game came on the heels of Yoshi's Island, a undisputed masterpiece, so the hype was at it's peak. Unfortunately, Yoshi's Story is not even close to Yoshi's Island.
Yoshi's Story, a weird little game from the N64 era

The game has a very bizarre structure and I honestly don't understand it yet. The world is separated into 6 story pages. When I begin a level on a page, it links into the other 3 levels of that page. Most of the time though, I wasn't able to see the entire level. That's because progression is based on the number of fruit Yoshi eats.

So, for example, once I gather 20 fruit (maybe it's more) in page 1, I reach page 2 regardless of how many levels I competed on page 1. It's weird and makes almost no sense to me. Still, the mechanics and levels were pretty good. Yoshi can still swallow enemies and make them into eggs, as well as shoot those eggs. There are still dozens of Shy Guys trying to kill Yoshi and there's still some really cool level design and enemies. I even fought a pretty cool boss where I had to eat parts of it's body until it was small enough to swallow.

The graphics are pretty awesome too, considering this is from the N64 era. While the smaller details are a bit blurry, most of the game looks fantastic, with a fun aesthetic and lots of bright colors. The music isn't too bad either.

However, I completely lost interest when I died on the 6th page. Before starting a page, I had to pick one of 6 Yoshis, all of different colors. When I die, that Yoshi gets taken to a castle and isn't available anymore. In the 6th page, I lost my last Yoshi and was greeted by a Game Over screen. When I restarted, I was back on the first page! I believe progression is kind of saved in a way, but I didn't bother to look into it just yet. Maybe I'll try again some other day.