December 18, 2017

Quantum Break

Date played: December 17th
Platform: Xbox One

I've been wanting to play Quantum Break ever since it was announced, but never got around to it. This is a game from Remedy, creators of Max Payne and Alan Wake. I was never a huge fan of Max Payne (I liked 3 a lot though), but I've loved every second of Alan Wake, so I had high hopes for Quantum Break.

Quantum Break is the story of Jack Joyce. a guy who somehow gets involved in a weird time traveling experiment. He meets up with his friend Paul at a university (maybe it's a business? Not sure) who wants to test his new machine, a time travel machine. It goes well at first, with successful travels, though of course, the logic is completely flawed, like every time travel story ever told.

Honestly, I'm quite confused by the story and what's happening, but it doesn't really matter. That's because even if the details of the story are hard to understand, the presentation and gameplay are rock solid.

This is one of the best looking video games I've played, up there with Horizon and Uncharted. It's not quite as polished as those two, but the performance capture and lighting are exceptional. I was really impressed by what the Xbox One can do here. The voice acting is fantastic too, and there's some really great camera angles. It really looks amazing.

During the experiment, something went wrong (OF COURSE!) and just like any superhero origin story, Jack gets powers. He can manipulate time in a number of ways, sometimes stopping it entirely, but mostly this affects combat and puzzle solving.

Combat is really fun and action-packed, thanks to these awesome time manipulation powers. Jack can create a "time-bubble" that slows time in a specific area for a few seconds. This slows down enemies, but also allows Jack to shoot bullets at the bubble, which will hit the enemy with ferocity once the bubble collapses.

Another power is a bullet shield, that stops bullets in their tracks for a short period. Finally, there's a "time dash" which instantly teleports Jack forward a few meters. If I aim my gun while doing it, it creates a slow motion effect, giving me time to riddle an enemy with bullets before moving on to the next. So far, my weapons have been very conventional, with a pistol, SMG and assault rifle, but they feel pretty good and combining them with the powers is a lot of fun.

Paul has come back from the future, 17 years in the future to be exact, and shit is just falling apart. I don't quite get it, but it's clear that Jack has to reverse the effects of the time machine somehow. I'm really impressed with the game so far, and it definitely hooked me as soon as I started understanding combat. The amazing graphics are just the cherry on top. I can't wait to play more of it!