December 11, 2017

Street Fighter V

Date played: December 10th
Platform: PS4

I was at a kid's birthday party last night and ended up playing a couple of rounds of Street Fighter V, once against my brother and once against a 9 year old girl. Since I've only played this version of the game once before, I picked Ryu for my first battle, and my brother picked Ken. The classic match.

We were both pulling off Hadokens, Shoruykens and spinning kicks right away, even if we were really rusty. I won the match, but it was pretty close. The battle got the 9 year old girl's attention and she asked to play the winner. She picked Rashid, one of the new characters, while I went to my favorite character, Dhalsim.
Ryu vs Ken

Dhalsim feels very different than in IV... His fireballs are now lobbed instead of shot directly in front of him, so that was really hard for me to adjust. His teleport is completely different too, I didn't really have enough time to learn it. Still, I knew all my basic moves and was confident I could win against this inexperienced child.

I was wrong.

She kicked my ass, button mashing her way to victory. Rashid is actually a pretty fast character that seems to favor close range combat, so it might have been a really bad idea for me to use Dhalsim, but still, I gotta give the kid credit. She was ruthless. She proved it by also beating my brother in the next match. I like Street Fighter V, if only I had some people to play it with regularly...