December 2, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

Date played: December 1st
Platform: Switch

I played long enough to play through the first story portion of the Luncheon Kingdom. This colorful place is home to the best stew on the planet, so of course, Bowser's Broodals were there to pick some up.

The whole world is extremely colorful, with bright colors everywhere. It is populated by a group of fork-people, of course, who are freaking out because a giant bird has taken control of their giant stew pot, which cooks over the kingdom's towering volcano, Mount Volbono.
Mario avoids a Spiny just before grabbing a moon!

Most of this level was pretty straight-forward, focusing a lot on basic platforming, though there were a few twists along the way. I encountered some new enemies, including some hot tomatoes that would burst into a small pool of lava when hit. These guys proved useful in some of the later portions of the level, as I could control some fireballs. I could then use the tomatoes as a way to extend the fireball's range.

Honestly, I'm really liking this world. It has a lot of different challenges and a cool look. I particularly loved a portion where I had to throw Mario's hat through some mechanical devices to then jump onto springy poles to reach higher ground. It's hard to describe, but it was a lot of fun. I also loved taking control of some Hammer Bros to cut through some cheese. I'm now ready to continue to a new world, Bowser's Kingdom!