December 3, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

Date played: December 2nd
Platform: Switch

This dragon boss was awesome!
Mario and Cappy ride the Odyssey towards Bowser's Kingdom to stop him from marrying Peach, once and for all (as if!). We were ambushed by Bowser along the way and had to fight him and his new friend, a giant dragon! I have a feeling the developers wanted to show off their graphical prowess here, because the world is really sparse. The entire Ruined Kingdom is really just a stage for the battle against the dragon, which is very impressive graphically.

I fought the giant beast for a while. The battle wasn't easy, since the dragon could throw dangerous blades of light as well as stomp on the ground with it's jaw to create some deadly shock waves. Once it stopped, I had an opportunity to attack it directly by yanking off some chains then doing a ground stomp on it's head. It was a really fun battle.

Once defeated, I had to chase Bowser back to his Kingdom. Bowser's Kingdom is themed around samurais in a medieval Japanese setting. It's way more colorful than I expected and it's one of the biggest levels yet.

Many of the puzzles revolved around taking control of a wood pecking bird. This little guy can stick his beak in certain types of material to launch himself into the air. There was a surprising amount of variety in how I could use them and it was a lot of fun to just explore. I gathered about 20 moons already in this level and I'm not even done with it yet!
Bowser's Kingdom is lots of fun

I had a couple of fights against some Broodals too, though it seems like I'm done with them now. The second battle, against the lady Broodal, was really cool. She used her pigtails to launch giant mines at Mario. I had to shoot them back at her to stun her, then stomp her head a few times. I'm very impressed with Bowser's Kingdom so far, and I can't wait to come back and scour every inch of it to find hidden moons.