December 20, 2017

Cuphead

Date played: December 19th
Platform: Xbox One

Last night, I claimed the souls of 3 new bosses in Cuphead!

It started with the only boss I hadn't killed in the second world, Wally Warbles in Aviary Action. Wally is a large bird that flies with his birdhouse on his back as Cuphead chases him in this plane level. The first phase took me a while to learn, mostly because I kept getting hit by the eggs the bird throws out. After a few failures, I nailed it and moved on to the second phase. This one felt like an old school schmup, where I had to avoid a barrage of feathers.
Wally Warbles

The third phase felt a lot harder. Wally falls to the ground and is replaced by one of his newly hatched babies. This little guy moves quickly and shoots a little laser gun, but the real threat was the shield of spiked eggs rotating around him at all times. They would expand and collapse regularly, forcing me to play a dangerous game of dodging and weaving through the deadly shells. I struggled with this phase quite a bit.

Finally, the last phase was the easiest. Wally returns, featherless and on a stretcher, carried by a pair of smaller birds. I had to avoid attacks from the birds while dropping bombs on the boss. I was proud to beat this guy and moved on to the third world.

The first battle I fought here was against Rumor Honeybottoms in Honeycomb Herald. As expected, the boss is a giant honeybee queen, but I didn't get to fight her right away. Instead, the first phase pits Cuphead against a policeman and some worker bees. For the first time in the game, I chose to use the homing weapon instead of my shotgun weapon. That's because there's a focus on platforming in this level. The battle screen scrolls up continuously, forcing me to jump from safe platform to safe platform. This means less time to aim at enemies, so instead I just shot the homing weapon the whole fight.

The second phase was a lot harder, where Rumor starts getting involved directly. She shoots projectiles and launches automated weapons. She also launches some torpedoes that move quickly through the platforms. After a bit of practice, I was ready for phase 3, where the queen turns herself into a place and attacks me with flying fists and giant buzzsaws (ha!). The homing weapon was a crucial tool here since the place is at the bottom of the screen. I could just focus on staying on platforms and avoiding attacks without having to worry about aiming too much.

The third boss I fought was Captain Brineybeard in Shootin' N' Lootin'. The captain rides atop his vessel, a brightly colored ship and attacks by throwing small projectiles. three of which can be parried, one of which is deadly at all times. There's also a treasure chest hanging high above the battle that falls down on me when I walk under it, during the entire battle.

There's only really two phases to this guy. In the first, while avoiding the treasure chest and projectiles, the captain summons one of three minions. There's an ink spewing octopus, a giant fucking shark and some angel dogs (???). This phase gets harder when the ship starts spitting out some cannonballs. Dodging and parrying is critical in this fight.

Finally, Brineybeard is defeated, but his ship is still fighting! This phase is short and relatively easy, but also kind of tricky. The treasure chest still moving back and forth at the top of the screen, I had to shoot at the ship's now exposed uvula. Periodically, it would wind up a huge attack that shoots a beam through the arena. I had to just duck to avoid it, but had to be careful of the treasure chest still moving above.

I still have a lot of Cuphead to play and explore, but I think I'm getting into the latter parts of the game now. I was really impressed with the animation, particularly Wally on the stretcher, Rumor Honeybottoms in general and the Shark from Captain Brineybeard.