December 12, 2017

Furi

Date played: December 11th
Platform: PS4

Furi is hard as balls. It's an arena based boss fight game. I play as a swordsman who wants to escape a prison, and that's about as deep as the story really gets. This game is all about the combat against the bosses.

These fights aren't short affairs either, they are long and drawn out with many phases each. They are so long in fact that I think the game might not have that many. It reminds me a bit of Cuphead in it's structure, except the fights are much longer.

The combat system is solid, with some sword attacks, some projectile attacks and charged versions of both. There's also a parry and a dash, and that's about it. What makes Furi interesting is it's intense speed and hardcore difficulty. I mean, I beat the first boss on the first try, but it was damn close. The second boss was within my grasp, but I wasn't able to take her down.

All the music has been absolutely amazing, though I already knew that since it's what got me interested in the game in the first place! The upbeat, synth heavy tunes mesh well with the neon infused, sparse visuals.

While I love everything that Furi is doing, I'm not sure I love what it's doing to me. That is, kicking my ass into the ground and kicking me in the balls at every opportunity. This is a tough fucking game, and I think it might be a little too hard for me. We'll see, maybe I'll get the urge to take on the homicidal maniac chick in a leather gimp suit on rollerblades once again.