December 14, 2017

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Date played: December 13th
Platform: Switch

Well, after playing the shit out of this game back in 2012 on PS3, then again a bit more in 2014 when I bought my PC, I'm back in the saddle with this year's Switch version. I've played most of what the basic game has to offer, but I've never messed with the expansions, and I've only really had one play style, sword and board.
Portable Skyrim? Yes please!

It's kind of stupid of me to buy this game. I mean, I still have the PC version, and it runs great and has mods. However, nothing beats the ease of use and portability of the Nintendo Switch. Knowing that Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time (easily top 10), I still went ahead and bought it.

It was a great decision. Just booting up the game felt like slipping into an old, comfortable chair. It feels like home. It feels like I want to jump in there and not come out for another 100 hours.

The Switch version is pretty much the same as the "Enhanced edition" released on PS4 and Xbox One last year, with some motion control options and a couple of Zelda items added. It looks surprisingly good too, with many special effects, solid framerate and decent lighting. It's a bit too dark sometimes, but then again, dungeons are supposed to be dark right?

The real reason I bought Skyrim again is because I've been feeling the urge to play it all year, and now that it's portable, it's even easier! Last night, I did some alchemy in the bathroom while my daughter was brushing her teeth. I fought some wolves while waiting for my dog to pee. It's great! On top of that, the 3 DLC packs are included in this version, and I've never played them, so I look forward to that stuff.

I chose to make a different kind of character this time, my first magic user. I'm gonna try to make a Conjurer, summoning creatures and raising zombies and stuff. I don't know if that's going to work or not, but I'll give it a shot. Right now, I'm using a Familiar (spectral wolf) and a couple of destruction spells like flames. I also have a shield and an axe, but I'm trying to avoid using them to level up my magic instead.

I've played through the opening moments of the game, reaching the village of Riverwood, then the big city of Whiterun. I didn't do very much except talk with a bunch of people, gathering quests and side quests. I dabbled with alchemy, blacksmithing and bought a couple of spells, but I'm low on money and don't have a lot of options. I also know I should continue the main mission for now because I need to get myself some fucking dragonshouts!

I'm really glad to be playing this game again!