December 27, 2017

Assassin's Creed Origins

Date played: December 26th
Platform: PS4

After killing my first real target, I got to play a flashback scene, one year prior to the game's opening, as Bayek who must protect a valuable artifact in a vault. I guess he's some sort of guard or policeman. The thieves are 5 masked men who have taken Bayek's son hostage, a young boy of about 9 or 10 years old. Bayek, with a clean shaven face and short hair, resists the men's interrogation, but then they threaten to hurt the child.

Bayek's son manages to grab a knife from one of the guards and gives it to his father. At the last moment, Bayek attacks with the knife and knocks out most of them. Holding the knife to the throat of one of the masked men, Bayek is fooled by a slick move and ends up stabbing his own son in the heart, killing him.

This scene was very well made and the emotional impact was solid. I couldn't believe it, and I felt the same anger that Bayek felt. Bayek manages to kill one of the masked men (fucking brutally too), then the game cuts to the present time.

Yes, this is still an Assassin's Creed game, and yes, that means modern world scientists jumping into people's "genetic memories". I am Laura Clemens, a reckless Abstergo technician that was never able to climb the corporate ladder thanks to her dubious work ethics and disregard for procedure and safety. She somehow managed to get dispatched to the Qattara Depression in Egypt to recover a valuable artifact. Though I still don't get the details, she managed to access Bayek's memories.

Back to Bayek, I must now leave the Siwa region to find the next masked man. There's talk of his wife, Aya, who is looking for information on the masked men in Alexandria, in the Great Library. I decided to stay back a little bit and complete a few side quests and explore the area.
I explore Siwa

There's some missions that are just about killing elite animals. The first was a hyena, protected by a dozen weaker hyenas. These guys are easy to take out with my melee weapons since they just charge at me. Another of these missions required that I kill an Ibex, which was an easy kill with my bow.

I spent a bit of time gathering the last few remaining treasure chests in the area. I found a little enemy encampment that asked that I kill the leader. Thankfully, I approached the camp at night and most of the soldiers were asleep. I killed them in their sleep, then took out the leader with a quick assassination. I'm now ready to leave the region and search for my third target.