December 29, 2017

Assassin's Creed Origins

Date played: December 27th
Platform: PS4

After jumping back into the Animus, I take control of Bayek on camelback, as he arrives in a new region. My main mission is to go to Alexandria and meet up with Aya, Bayek's wife. I started in the open desert and I could see the pyramids in the far distance. There is also a big lake, a big village and a some farms. I'm very impressed with the world that the game presents... Every detail is amazing and it looks spectacular at all times. It's a very impressive game world that's for sure.

I brave a sandstorm on camelback
I did a bit of hunting around this area, mainly crocodiles. I use my bow a lot more than I was expecting, it's a powerful tool. I also played a few minor missions from villagers. Most of the missions are similar, but the camps and battles are all slightly different, so each enemy camp is it's own experience. 

Water is a big element in this game, which might be surprising considering this is still a game set in Egypt. Either way, there are a number of large bodies of water, each with hidden treasure, triremes, fishing boats, dangerous animals and islands. It's really well done. I particularly enjoy riding small boats at high speeds.
Boat riding is a lot of fun
I spent a good amount of time hunting animals, or stealing materials from bandits and stuff. This allowed me to upgrade a lot of my equipment and I've picked up a bunch of new weapons along the way too. I'm rocking a sniping "predator" bow, a standard "hunter" bow, a pair of quick short swords and a heavy axe.
Wow.
In the village, I also completed a number of smaller errand missions, including a funny game of hide and seek with some kids at the temple. I'm skipping a lot of details here of course, but there's a lot of little side quests to do everywhere. Thanks to the missions being tagged with a level requirement, it's pretty easy to know which mission I should do first, I typically just take the lowest level one.