December 29, 2017

Cuphead

Date played: December 28th
Platform: Xbox One

I played a little bit of Cuphead yesterday, focusing on the two platforming levels and the mausoleum in the third world. The first level I played was Rugged Ridge. Set in a mountainous areas, I was attacked by pickaxe-wielding mountain goats, hopping Satyrs, sludge monsters, baby dragons and even a giant fucking cyclops!

As usual, this was hard as fuck, requiring good accuracy and precise jumping. I struggled with a stone lion statue that blew wind in my face periodically as a mountain goat threw pickaxes at me as I balanced myself on a tipping scale... Fucking stone lion.
Cyclops battle!

The animation in this level is amazing in general, but the cyclops is one well animated motherfucker. He runs at me at full speed as the level auto-scrolls and I jump from ruined platform to ruined platform. It took me a good while to get a good rhythm, but as usual, perseverance and patience paid off and I made it through.

The second level, Perilous Piers was a bit more frustrating, and honestly, not as much fun as the first. That's mainly because it felt a bit more random, thanks to some weird flying fish, starfish and other obstacles. Still, the pier level was still lots of fun and once again, incredibly well animated.

I decided to use a different weapon here, because of the fish and the vertical aspects of the level. The heavy hitting, bouncing shots of the Lobber were perfect for most encounters. I loved riding the big craps in the middle of the level, and I couldn't help but smile anytime I fought with Kaptain Krustacean, a big lobster that shoots lightning.

The final part of the level is where it got frustrating though... I was riding an octopus, floating on top of the water and had to dodge a number of projectiles or shoot them. The problem was the pink jewel on top of the octopus head. Because I had the perk that auto-parries equipped, I think it made this portion way more difficult than it had to be. I should have been smart and changed equipment, but I made it through eventually.

I now have a ton of bosses waiting for me, at least 5, so I can't wait to boot this game up again and take them on.