December 3, 2017

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Date played: December 2nd
Platform: PS4

I'm starting to get my bearings in this game. I'm still trying to find the guy that will help me repair my cybernetic augmentations, but I've run into a few problems getting there. I actually spent a lot of time just exploring, hacking doors and talking to people. I found tons of interesting objects, though I don't really understand most of it yet.

My quest to find the repairman led me to a security checkpoint run by a gangster. This guy keeps adding new kinds of permits and licenses and he charges people ridiculous amounts of money for it. I have to get through this checkpoint to reach the repairman (or at least, that's the only way I found).
Prague has a strong police presence

After speaking with the border guard, I had the option of bribing him for 700 credits, which would let me through the checkpoint once. I spoke with the document guy, and he wants to charge me 35 000 credits. My alternative was to sneak into their office and speak with the girl who forges these documents. I climbed a bunch of ventilation shafts, hacked a bunch of keypads and computers and eventually found a way to reach her without being caught.

The girl knows she's doing something wrong, but she's kind of stuck in the employ of the documents guy. I convinced her I would help her, starting with the delivery of two fake ID's to some regular people. The first lady wasn't too hard, I just had to find her. The second guy was a bit of a challenge though.

When I reached his shop, he was being threatened by a thug. Instinctively, I shot the mugger in the face with my tranquilizer rifle, but didn't think about the guards just outside. The game auto-saved right there, so I had to fight my way out...

This took a few attempts, since I'm still very uncomfortable with combat in this game. However, the weapons are actually pretty powerful for the most part. I practiced shooting with my pistol and sub-machine gun, killing a dozen guards and a security drone in the process. This clearly wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but I got out of it alive.

Mankind Divided is a game full of problems, like weird voice acting, bad character models, ugly animation and an overly complicated story. However, it's got some really good stuff too. I am liking the stealth mechanics, exploration, hacking, conversation trees and combat, though I still have lots to learn.