December 24, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

Date played: December 23rd
Platform: Switch

Yesterday was a Mario day for me, I played a ton of it in the afternoon. I started with some time exploring the Sand Kingdom, gathering as many moons as I could. Most of the easy ones are done now, so I'm hunting harder for them now. When I was spending most of my time just running around, I decided it was time to try a different world, so I went to the Luncheon Kingdom.

My first trip to the Luncheon Kingdom was kind of short, I really just focused on the main story mission here and barely did any exploration, so there was a lot of stuff left to find here. In fact, I hadn't even completed the second portion of the main quest!
I warm up the soup

The Luncheon Kingdom is well known for it's wonderful stew, slowly cooking over the towering volcano, but it's been taken over by a giant bird. I had to find a way to the top to fight the bird. This meant a lot of fun platforming, vaulting from forks and tricky jumps. Eventually, I reached the stew where I fought the bird in the body of a fireball. The fight itself was pretty cool, as I had to climb through the bird's "vomit" with my fireball to defeat it.

Now that the stew is free of the bird's threat, the villagers have peace of mind and host a big carnival, inviting people from all Kingdoms. This opens up a ton of new little missions to get power moons. I spent a lot of time here...

I explored the depths of some new caverns, including one where I had to warm up the soup by possessing a fireball. There were many moons that required I use the fireball form in fact. It allows for new forms of movement, including some cannons, moving through lava and even jumping into hot tomato paste. Another good one had a crazy platforming challenge on some brightly colored moving platforms. This one was pretty damn hard.

However, my favorite of all missions here were the two races against the Koopa guys. I had to jump through a series of moving platforms, inhabited by some fireball spewing piranha plants, then climb to the top of a structure. The first little bit was hard, but straight-forward. In the climbing parts I managed a bit more creativity though. I pretty quickly found a really good shortcut, where I had to use a fireball to jump up, then turn back to Mario to make a few acrobatic jumps, which led directly to the goal line. It was tricky and required a bit of practice, but it felt great to kick the golden Koopa's ass with a sick jump.

I'm missing only 3 purple coins in this world, but I can't imagine where they could be. I still have a number of moons to find, but the easy ones are all out of the way. I might head to a different world next time, but I'm sure I'll return to this colorful gastronomic world soon enough.