December 15, 2017

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Date played: December 14th
Platform: Switch

Whiterun is a large, bustling city smack in the middle of Skyrim. This makes it a great place to hang out, get quests, gear and practice skills like alchemy, cooking and blacksmithing. A traditional Nord city, their citizens are mostly loyal to the Empire. They aren't very comfortable around magic, and they have very conservative values.

I stayed in Whiterun last night, getting quests, meeting people and learning new stuff. I'm only level 3, but I've already focused my skill points on Conjuration and Destruction magic. I did a few small tutorial missions like learn how to tan leather, craft and upgrade items at the forge, alchemy and even bartering.

The Companions are a group (guild?) that has their headquarters in Whiterun. These guys are just warriors, with no leaders and no real organization. They just go out and help the citizens of Skyrim anyway they can with their fighting skills. To join their ranks, I had to help the town's alchemist get rid of some dangerous bandits.

Turns out, this was probably a really bad idea. I have almost no skills, shit equipment and honestly, I just wasn't ready for a fight. When I entered the shop, three bandits attacked me with swords and axes. I died here about 3 times before deciding to bring the battle outside of the shop. This failed also, and I got my ass kicked. I then went with a different approach... I ran out of Whiterun completely into the open world and let the bad guys chase me. I found a small structure where I could jump over a wall to avoid the enemies, then jump back over to attack them. It was cheesy, but it worked. I slowly killed them with my wolf Familiar, Flames magic and a couple of axe swings.
My Breton with a Flame Atronach, a Bound Sword and the Candlelight spell

This allowed me to join the Companions, and also taught me that I wasn't ready to fight. I went back to town and made some money by selling junk and potions I had made with alchemy. This gave me enough to buy a few new spells.

First up was the solution to the darkness problem I had in the first few hours. Candlelight is a simple, cheap spell that illuminates the area around me. It doesn't last very long, but it's super useful in dark areas. The next spell I bought was Bound Sword, a spell that creates an ethereal blade for a few minutes. I figure, this might be a good way for me to complement my spell-casting, but I'm not sure yet.

The big addition to my arsenal is the Flame Atronach. This fire spirit appears in the form of a woman (demon?) on fire and shoots fireballs at enemies. She's very strong, stronger than anything I can do on my own right now, so it's a huge upgrade.

Now that I'm all equipped and ready to go, I will head to Bleak Falls Barrow to continue the main story. I remember getting my first dragon shout there, so I think it's a good place to go. Plus, it's right next to Whiterun anyway!