December 31, 2017

Assassin's Creed Origins

Date played: December 29th
Platform: PS4

I wrapped up most of the stuff I had to do before entering the big city of Alexandria. I did a variety of smaller side missions. In one of them, I had to carry a drunk back home on camel back.  In another, I had a difficult arena battle where I was given some honorific weapons and armor and a fantastic looking costume. In another, a woman needs my help to keep bandits away from her farm. I stealthily destroyed them all, hiding in bushes and whistling at them to grab their attention. Another side quest had me clear out a villa of enemies.

This one went well at first, I was killing them all in their sleep, but someone walked by and saw me. I ended up getting into a giant brawl that lasted about 5 minutes as reinforcements arrived steadily. This was a good opportunity for me to really practice the fighting system. I'm really starting to feel at home with it. I think they key is to block at all times, dodge big attacks then swoop in with a combo of my own. Right now, I'm rocking a regular sword and a big war ax. I use the sword for most battles, but take out the ax for stronger enemies or mounted combat.

The missions progressively brought me closer and closer to Alexandria. I had to assassinate a VIP at the gates to the city. This was fun because it felt like the types of missions that were in the first two games in the series. That means a target that is heavily protected, some walls to climb and a perfect spot for an air jumping assassination. I jumped and stabbed the man in classic Assassin's Creed fashion.

So, I have to talk about Alexandria. It's hard to describe really, but seeing the sprawling city, extending beyond the horizon, was a spectacular, breathtaking sight! I was floored by the size of the city, but also the incredible attention to detail and the busy commotion of the markets and temples. I haven't really started exploring it, but this place looks like the main hub of the game. I am incredibly impressed by the craftsmanship of the team that made this game.
Alexandria awaits

I decided to leave the city and do a bit of hunting and exploring before delving into the story missions again. I did some hunting (I even killed some hippos!), gathered materials and made a few upgrades to my gear. I also went back to the lake to synchronize a tower and got into a bit of a naval battle along the way. So far, the easiest way I've found of fighting other ships is to set my arrows on fire with the lantern on my boat, then shoot their boat. This starts a big fire that immobilizes it and burns it's occupants. I then shoot an arrow or two at enemies to take them out. It works pretty well.

I'm ready to go back to Alexandria now I think, to meet up with my wife, Aya.