December 4, 2017

Golf Story

Date played: December 3rd
Platform: Switch

I had a bit of time to kill yesterday Golf Story was the perfect way to have some fun. I played through all of the second course, in Lurker Valley. The place has a bit of a prehistoric vibes, including some giant, mysterious footprints, some old turtles and a few people who don't quite have the expected level of speech mastery that you come to expect out of a normal person.

Tar pit challenge in Lurker Valley
My most interesting challenge was from a group of 4 golfers. They challenged me to reach the green and out the ball in the hole, while fulfilling a special requirement. The first one was easy, I just had to stay on the fairway and green. The second asked that I only play on rough and green, then the third was deep rough and green. Finally, the last guy asked that I hit only sand bunkers and green!

All 4 of these challenges required a completely different approach to the same hole, while also requiring some pretty good accuracy. It was lots of fun! This opened up the shop, where I bought some better "digging" clubs. They are intended for use in sand bunkers, but they can also be used as an improvised digging tool.

This allowed me to repair the relationship between the two golf clubs, as I found their missing idol, buried deep on one of the fairways. I learned all this by forming a strange but funny relationship with an archaeologist (NOT A PALEONTOLOGIST!). I also got to play through the entire 9 hole course. It was a really fun one, with lots of interesting challenges, including some shots that required that I ricochet my ball off a turtle's shell.

Back at the first golf course, I now had a few outstanding items to deal with. First was to get rid of the disc golf crew by beating them at their own game. The controls for it are tricky, but I got good enough to at least pass the challenge. I also unlocked a mini-golf course, which was fun but a bit too easy. Impressed by my play in Lurker Valley, the coach finally agreed to coach me. I completed a short driving range competition too.

There's still a lot waiting for me in this game, including a bunch of new areas, so I can't wait to see where it takes me. This is a quality golf game for people that don't really like golf. It's kind of great.