March 1, 2015

Transistor

Date played: March 1st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I instantly fell in love with Transistor. It looks and sounds absolutely wonderful, so much that if all this game was, I would still give it a few hours. Thankfully, there's also an intriguing story and setting, including some very cool narration from the main character's sword. Yep, her sword talks.

The heroine runs through the beautiful city of Transistor
Using an isometric, bird's eye view perspective, I used my giant sword to chop down some nasty robots, though it's really unclear why I'm fighting so far. The real kicker here is the combat system. I'm still learning it, but it seems to be a hybrid between action and turn-based inputs. There are abilities assigned to each of the 4 face buttons and they can be used in real time, but it's far more efficient to use the "planning" function.

Pressing R2 brings up a grid that can be used to plan movement and attacks, then unleashed in an instant. It's hard to describe in words, but it's extremely satisfying. Of course, there is a limit to the amount of actions that can be planned. Once executed, there is a timer that counts down until the next action can be planned. This leads to running around for a while, avoiding enemy attacks until I was ready for the next attack.

There is also a system that allows me to customize my attacks, but honestly, I haven't had time to play with it yet. It looks to be very fun and powerful though, so I'm looking forward to playing more of this awesome, unique game.