March 25, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: March 24th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

I think my daughter loves Skyward Sword. She really really wants us to find Zelda. I'm hoping we will see her a bit before the end of the game... I went back to Skyloft and completed a couple of side quests.

A little girl went missing and her distressed mother asked Link to find her. I had to talk to some people to find clues, eventually leading me to the town's graveyard at night, hitting a specific tombstone and going through a secret door. That's where I met an adorable, misunderstood monster. The little girl was just being it's friend, as the residents of Skyloft run away in fear when they see him. He wants to be turned into a human, which can apparently be done by collecting Gratitude Crystals, which are given by people when Link makes them happy... I then completed a quest to save a wounded Loftwing, which brought me to a total of 15 crystals. I went back to the monster and he rewarded me with a bigger wallet and a heart piece! I explored the town a bit more and flew around a little, then headed to the next area on Surface.

Eldin Volcano
Eldin Volcano is where I will find the second fountain and hopefully, Zelda. The area has a ton of lava pools all around, as well as some new friendly inhabitants, weird mole people. These guys can burrow underground and travel through the dirt. I used bomb flowers for the first time too, blowing up rock walls and tossing them at enemies.

Along the way, I met a mysterious person that helped me cross a chasm, then disappeared quickly. Not sure what's up with that dude yet, but he seems friendly. I also got a new item along the way, some digging mitts. These things can be used on certain sections of ground to reveal rupees, items or air gusts that can lift Link in the air.

When I reached the end of the path, I found a door that was missing 5 pieces of a key that were scattered around the area. Using dousing, I eventually found them all, though I got stuck a few times until I retraced my steps and explored every possible path... This opened the doors to the Earth Temple! I can't wait to play through the fiery temple...