March 8, 2015

Metroid: Other M

Date played: March 7th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Metroid Other M!

I spent a good amount of time just going back to different areas to grab items I missed and open up Super Missile doors. I went back to sector 1 to continue the story and find any remaining civilians before the BOTTLE SHIP crashes into the Galactic Federation Headquarters.

That's when I found a mysterious woman hiding in a cell. Before talking to her, I had to fight the abomination that destroyed a wounded Ridley, the Metroid Queen. This thing looks like a gigantic crocodile, but inside it's transparent belly, dozens of baby metroids are growing... The battle was very intense. I had to fight metroids directly and avoid the queen's attacks at the same time, then land some super missile hits on the queen whenever I saw an opening. After I seriously wounded the creature, the BOTTLE SHIP stopped abruptly. In a last ditch effort to conquer the beast, Samus grapples into it's mouth, got into morph ball mode and used a power bomb inside it's stomach! The queen was dead. I had only 13 HP left after the battle, but I was proud that I didn't die once during the final battle.

Samus is one of my favorite video game characters, even after the cheesy parts of Other M
Following the battle was a very long ending cinematic. As it turns out, the mysterious woman was the REAL Dr. Madeline Bergman. The blonde that Samus had met earlier was actually MB, the AI meant to replicate Mother Brain. There was a whole lot of talking about the relationship between MB and Dr. Bergman and how it all went to shit. In the end though, the doctor froze MB, who was later shot by a group of "late to the party" Galactic Federation soldiers.

Either way, all is well that ends well, mostly. The BOTTLE SHIP was stopped, the metroids are dead (or are they?) and Samus is free to continue her regular bounty hunting activities. After the credits, there was an epilogue where Samus says she must go back to the ship and recover something important.

I spent more time gathering items I had missed during the main game, using power bombs to discover new secrets. Interestingly, every power bomb door is guarded by a very fast, very strong enemy. These guys were difficult to fight... As I was exploring sector 1, I found a big corridor that led to a gauntlet through many strong enemies. At the end of the corridor I found a bonus boss battle, Phantoon.

This disgusting creature can only be damaged by shooting it's giant glowing eye. He shot out blue floating orbs, as he did in Super Metroid's ghost ship. He wasn't super difficult to beat, but I had to be quick with the dodging. After it was defeated, I found what I was looking for, Adam's helmet. As Samus picked it up, the ship's self destruct mechanism turned on (wtf?) and I had to escape to my ship!

With the alarm blaring and the 5 minute timer counting down, Samus fled to her ship. She was in her zero suit though, which means I had none of my normal suit abilities. I was armed with a small pistol and had to avoid combat as much as possible. It was a pretty cool way to end the game. I liked Other M a lot more than I expected.