March 28, 2015

Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

Date played: March 27th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a few missions. There was another event with the A.B.E. robot, though that only lasted about a minute. Then I played a giant mission where I had to kill two alien queens while navigating a canyon environment. This was probably the best designed map so far. It offered balanced combat, lots of different paths and a clear goal, something that isn't always found in this game.
Who could have imagined indeed...
I had a new member on my team again, though I don't think I really like him too much. Tin Man's main ability is to transfer steam from his meter to to another party member's. For the rest of my team, I had Tiger Lily to heal, Fox to snipe and Califa to use explosives. There's not much else to say, I slowly made my way through the level, being careful not to be too hasty or too slow. Fox took care of taking out the alien queens quickly with critical shots.

The next mission has me defending a base from a very large, very angry alien. I had to use cannons set along the sides of the level to slow down the monster, even shooting down large fans from the ceiling on it's head. After this fun mission, the game got even weirder, and it's already really fucking weird.

Dorothy joined our team... I now just realized that Lion, Pumpkin and Tin Man were all from The Wizard of Oz. In fact, we took a portal to Oz and fought aliens that invaded their world... It's all complete nonsense, but it makes for a nice change of scenery. The mission was challenging too, as I had to take out two artillery aliens while fighting a new type of enemy that is invisible to my units. This means they cannot be hit by overwatch attacks, so I had to attack them head on. I barely made it out alive, but thanks to the Fox's high damage headshots and Califia's long range explosives, I reached the goal.