March 14, 2015

Grow Home

Date played: March 14th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I was chilling with my brother this afternoon and we decided to try out Grow Home, a weird little game about a robot who must help a large beanstalk-type plant grow large enough to go back to his spaceship up in the atmosphere. The visual design is very unique and interesting, but it's the original mechanics that kept me interested.

The robot can use each hand independently to grab onto objects and walls. This means I have to alternate using the controls for each hand to climb a wall for example. The jiggly physics help make the experience really enjoyable and fun. There are crystals to gather all around the world, some of which require intense climbing skills. Flowers scattered around the world can be picked up and used as a makeshift parachute when falling down long distances. I also earned a sort of rocket boost ability that can help B.U.D. (Botanical Utility Droid) gain some speed while in the air.

Grow Home is pretty fucking cool
To reach the spaceship, our hero must help the giant plant grow by riding it's fresh buds into the sky. This is a controllable sequence, which means the levels were partially designed by me as I guided the plant to floating islands in the sky. Grow Home is an interesting game and I'm glad to be playing it.