March 20, 2015

Battlefield Hardline

Date played: March 19th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I had a real blast playing the Battlefield Hardline beta. I was fun, it wasn't too buggy, the connection was stable. In short, it was really cool and I wanted to play more of it, so I bought the game. As it was installing the multiplayer component, I gave the single player campaign a go.

I was surprised at the production... Battlefield has always been all about the multiplayer and I've never really played any of the single player modes. Hardline is full of cut scenes, dialogue, grand set pieces and scripted events. The player character, Nicholas Mendoza, is a crooked Miami cop on the vice team. A new drug called Hot Shot is the new craze on the streets and it's coming from a single supplier. He and his partner, a young woman, must investigate the situation.

The first thing that stood out to me is how fucking good the game looks. Wandering in the slums of Miami on a rainy night looks incredible. The game plays well too, but there's a bit more stealth than I expected so far... I mean, there is literally a radar that looks exactly like the one from Metal Gear Solid... There's also a bizarre mechanic where Mendoza can flash his badge and aim his gun at enemies to subdue them for a short period, but it's a little bit hard to use and the rules aren't super clear. There was even a pretty cool car chase thrown in there.
This scene was really tense
The mission I played had me infiltrating a dilapidated school to find a drug dealer. After taking out all the enemies using my baton, taser, gun and handcuffs, all I could find was the computer that was used to video chat... The hints from the computer led us to a man's house. As we were talking to him, my partner was shot in the shoulder by unseen assailants. In a thrilling scene, I put pressure on the wound with one hand as I shot enemies with the other until reinforcements arrived.

I was surprised at how well made the single player campaign is, but I am really here for the multiplayer. I can't wait to try it out.