March 29, 2015

Halo 4

Date played: March 28th
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played through one mission and about half of another in Halo 4. The first mission was mostly played aboard a Mammoth, a humongous 4 wheeled vehicle that transports UNSC troops and equipment. It's so big that it can fit multiple Warthogs in it's cargo bay. I rode on top of it, using it's powerful rocket turrets to take out the covenant at a distance. At multiple spots in the mission, I had to get off and disable force fields that blocked the way. I even had a laser targeting system that aimed the Mammoth's giant cannons on larger targets.

The Mammoth is an amazing piece of machinery
At one point, the Mammoth was disabled and I had to jump off, using Warthogs, rocket launchers and other weapons to hold off the Covenant as we made repairs. I even boarded a large drop ship and blew it up as I escaped with a jetpack! There was a fun segment where I used a tank to make my way through the hordes of Covenant forces. Eventually, some Prometheans showed up and I fought my way through them too.

The story took a turn for the incomprehensible just then. What's clear is that Cortana is going crazy, she even disobeyed a direct order from her superiors. Master Chief also supported this decision... Basically, Master Chief decided to take out the Didact instead of leaving the system as his commanding officer ordered. Then there was a weird, alien librarian lady that showed up and explained things... though I didn't quite get it. Something about a Composer, and the Didact wanting to control the Composer so he could rule the universe or some shit. It's all non-sense, but I got to attack a bunch of Prometheans in the process.

Hell, I even got to pilot an iconic Pelican dropship and it's powerful machine gun as I attacked two structures. Inside the structures, I fought countless Prometheans. I love Halo 4, though I wish the story was a bit easier to follow.