March 29, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: March 29th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played through the Earth Temple and almost made it to the next dungeon, though not quite. The Earth Temple was filled with lava and dangerous, fiery contraptions, including a large stone sphere that could be used to navigate through the lava.

I scored an important item in this dungeon, the bomb bag! Of course, this means I can blow up rocks and the occasional wall that has cracks in it. It's also a pretty good weapon in certain circumstances. I got to fight a new enemy type, a giant lizard warrior that has a metallic arm to act as a shield. They are pretty quick and required smart fighting and accurate aiming.

After a bunch of bomb throwing and rolling the stone sphere in rivers of lava, I made it to the boss. This dude has one eye, a rock armor and spits out giant fireballs. The battle arena was quite unusual, as it was just a giant ramp with lava pits on both sides. I used my newly acquired bombs to take him out by throwing them in his mouth, then slashing at it's eye when it was stunned. I avoided the fireballs and ran under the creature when it charged me on top of it's spindly legs.

The door to the boss room is impressive...
After the battle, I actually caught up to Zelda in person! My daughter's eyes lit up with joy... Unfortunately, our meeting was short lived as she was accompanied by the mysterious person dressed in black. It was all very cryptic, but basically, that person told Zelda that she had to continue her quest without Link for now, as he had proven himself to be a bad guardian so far... The person in black told me that if I completed the trials successfully, I would be ready to defend Zelda from the enemy.

After the temple, I went back to town, bought a few items and carried some pumpkins to pay off the chandelier. I found a few of the special chests opened on the surface. After flirting (!) with the girl from the item bank shop, I put the last stone tablet in the shrine and opened the next area, Lanayru Desert.

The desert was a lot of fun. I found some odd crystals that seem to open temporary time portals. When activated, the area around the crystals becomes green with foliage and full of colorful artifacts, as opposed to the drab browns of today's desert. There are also small, sentient robots that are walking around when the time portals are active that provide helpful advice. They also provided me with an upgrade to my beetle device which can now pick up small objects and drop them from above. The best use of this has been as a remote bombing weapon... It works incredibly well.

There were tons of little puzzles in the area that required that I drop bombs from above to open up new paths. I also used little mine carts to traverse some areas. Those carts are only powered when in range of the time portals though, so a lot of creative crystal bashing had to be done to progress.

Eventually, I found the area where Zelda and the mysterious person went, but the way was blocked. There is another way in, but it required that I power on three special devices. These all had special puzzles in small rooms that required more creative solutions, including a devious use of the beetle to pick up a small, electrical enemy and carry it across a chasm to power the device...
I powered on all three devices and must now find a way to open the secret passage.