March 24, 2015

Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

Date played: March 24th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 6/10

Man, this game is rough around the edges sometimes...

I fought an alien queen, a large creature that spawned two enemies every turn and has a stun attack. On top of that, a new enemy type littered the level and was very frustrating to fight. These underground worms would pop up randomly and hit me hard. On top of that, they have a lot of health and they move around quite a bit when being targeted... Combine that with the shitty aiming system of this game and it became really frustrating.

Thankfully, I had a new character to help me make my way through the hordes of enemies. Pumpkin is a physically weak character with a pumpkin for a head. He shoots out large pumpkin mines that stun enemies and deal decent damage. The mines blow up on the next turn or can be detonated by a shot. They were pretty useful, but can be hard to use. After failing twice, I made a huge, hail mary push at the end of the mission and succeeded, but it was really close. I didn't like this mission at all.

My crew avoids an alien attack
I played two more missions, this time, we had to save a scientist. This was a lot more fun than the previous mission. The level design was better and the monsters were less frustrating to fight. I'm really liking using Queequeg and his long range penguin explosives. I equipped him with a healing gun too, which made him into a formidable defensive character. I'm thinking Lion needs to be dropped off my team too, but his high health is always appealing. His jump has it's moments, but generally, I find him underwhelming.