March 22, 2015

Local Multiplayer Mayhem!

Date played: March 21st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I hung out with one of my brothers, his girlfriend and 3 friends last night. As we were waiting for the other guests to arrive, my brother and I played a quick NHL 15 match, Sens vs Habs as usual. While I held my own for the entire game, my awful shooting skills led to my demise, losing 3-1.

The real fun started when everyone arrived and we started playing some Towerfall Ascension with 4 players. Now, I've played this once before with another one of my brothers and had a lot of fun, but with 4 players, it's even better!

Playing Towerfall last night was one of the best fucking things I've played in my life!

People caught on quickly, because the concept is simple. People stayed interested for a long time too, we ended up playing that almost 3 hours straight... We had 6 players, so after every match, the 2 lowest scorers gave their controllers to the 2 that didn't play. Surprisingly, the game is so well balanced that everyone won at least one match and every single game was close as fuck.

We even had small rivalries that started popping up. We started recognizing other's methods and style. We started playing head games, trying to deceive other opponents as we learned how they think. We started respecting every other player and never underestimating anyone. The game is so fast and unforgiving, the slightest mistake IS fatal. We watched slow motion replays in awe of the skill or complete bullshit on display. Everything about Towerfall is incredible. Thanks to it's versatile options, it was easy to turn off shields and auto-balance when it was clear that we were all on the same skill level.

Another feature that surprised me is the smart use to the PS4 controller's light bars. The colors matched that player's on-screen character! For example, if I was brutally murdered by the green character, all I had to do was glance at each player's controller and I knew who killed me. That way, it was easy to congratulate people... or more often than not, give them a big nice "Fuck you!" as the match ends.
Towerfall is so fucking fun!

When people got a little more drunk and a little more tired, we played a little bit of Surgeon Simulator. I didn't get to play it much, but it was really funny... We played with 2 players, each player controlling a hand. The game is fucking ridiculous as it is, but when you have two drunk guys trying to cut out intestines with a hammer and scalpel, Surgeon Simulator becomes a real comedy show.