March 21, 2015

Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

Date played: March 20th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 7/10

I played through 5 missions, including one that was very frustrating and one that was very cool. I was joined by a new member, Tom Sayer. Yep. Maybe I'm not really using him right, but I really didn't like him very much. He only had a short range, low cost punch attack. While it was pretty cool to have him when enemies rushed me, he was completely useless the rest of the time.

The first mission I played had me rescue 6 frozen survivors from around the level. These civilians were kind of hard to see and find though. There was also a new enemy type that was extremely annoying, a small flying monster that can stun my characters. The problem with them is that they are very difficult to hit and require a lot of fucking around with the camera to line up a shot. I found 5 of 6 survivors but then couldn't find the last one. I ran around the level for a while until reinforcements got the best of me and wiped out my squad. For the first time in the game, I had to restart a mission. I found the last survivor my second time around, hidden behind a wooden crate.

Anthropomorphized Battle Engine, or A.B.E.
On our way to the United States, we were ambushed by a giant boss monster. Abe Lincoln decided to bring out his secret weapon, the Anthropomorphized Battle Engine, or A.B.E.... In a huge change of pace, I had direct control over the giant robot as I fought with the alien. It actually played like a bad first person shooter, which was actually pretty cool.

After the battle, we made it to America where we discovered that the aliens were invading, same as in England. We decided to take back an Army base and that's where the next 3 missions took place. Another new character joined, Queequeg. He is a native American man who shoots out walking penguin bombs... These three missions were all rather straight forward.

I like having Henry for his general versatility, Lion for his jumps and his precision crossbow, Tiger Lily for healing and Queequeg for his long range explosives. This game requires the player to play very carefully and methodically. In some ways, I absolutely love that, but in other ways, it makes the game a little too slow for my tastes, depending on the map.