March 22, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Date played: March 21st
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

At my daughter's request, I spent a bit of the afternoon playing Skyward Sword. I finally flew my Loftwing out to the hole in the clouds left by the black tornado. I fell down into a wooded area. After exploring the large crater left by the tornado, I learned how to use dousing with my sword to locate Zelda. This meant aiming the sword in different directions until I got a signal, which meant my friend should be in that direction. I could then use the map to set a light beacon in the general direction of the signal.

The signal pointed to Faron Woods nearby, where I met an odd, forest dwelling creature. This little fur ball was under attack by red monsters with swords and such. I helped him, but he ran away, scared of Link. After chasing him down through the forest, he told me he had seen Zelda and that she was hiding with his elder, so now I had to find the elder, chief of the Kikwis.

I've seen a bit more combat now and it's clear that sword direction plays a big role in combat, though once an enemy is stunned, I've been able to just swing around a bit and stab randomly to win. I found the elder, a very large creature, who said he knew where Zelda was, but he wouldn't reveal the info until I rescued his friends from the monsters.

I used the dousing ability to find the 3 missing Kikwis in the woods and even found a heart piece along the way. I was rewarded with the infamous slingshot!!! The elder also revealed that Zelda went alone into the nearby Forest Temple. I met a Goron too. That dude has studied the legends of Link's people and helped me reveal some secret metal boxes that reveal secret chests up in the Skyloft and its surrounding floating islands.
Link chills with a Kikwi in a tree
Before heading into the temple, I figured it would be a good time to go back to town. I had a full wallet and had revealed 2 chests. My first order of business was to buy a bigger pouch for my slingshot ammo. Then, armed with my new, long range weapon, I was able to ring the bell to the floating shop. That guy has some good shit for sale, including the bug net and the bigger wallet I bought. I walked around town a little bit, catching a few insects, though I'm not quite sure what they are for yet. In the 2 secret chests, I found a piece of heart and an upgrade to my adventurer's pouch. I'm not sure I like this pouch system, but I will have to wait and see how it works with more items.

I stumbled onto a large floating island that was turned into a pumpkin farm. The restaurant inside had a huge chandelier that had a heart piece on it... I rolled into the railing and made the whole thing fall down to get my heart piece. Unfortunately, the owner didn't like my recklessness, so he made me deliver piping hot pumpkin soup to the trainer in town, but I only had 5 minutes to do it! It wasn't super clear who I was supposed to deliver it to, so I ran around a bit in town, talking to people, but I got the right guy before the timer expired. I'm ready for the Forest Temple now.