November 29, 2016

Chrono Trigger

Date played: November 28th
Platform: Vita

So I ended up grinding a little bit on Mt. Woe, since it seemed to give a lot of EXP and tech points compared to other areas, and it was worth it. Crono and Robo have all their tech skills, and Ayla isn't far behind. I made sure Marle, Frog and Lucca all had their level 2 magic spells, then I moved on.

It turns out, a boss was right around the corner. Giga Gaia is a giant monster that fights our party using it's two hands. The hands are individual targets, so of course, I tried to take them out before the rest of the body. That went well, but then Giga Gaia regenerates his arms! Thankfully, he wasn't much of a threat anyway, so I took him out easily using some of my better tech skills.
Giga Gaia
Then, there was drama. Long story short, Melchior was held prisoner by the seal held by Giga Gaia. When he was released, he didn't know us yet, since he meets us in the far future. Then the mountain starts collapsing! The team ends up in the little village on ground level with Melchior. That's when Schala, the kingdom's princess, shows up with her little brother Janus. She says that the Queen is ready to activate the Mammon Machine. I'm not really clear on what the machine does, but I think it means Lavos would wake up.

Anyway, Schala is the only person that can activate the machine and she refuses to do it. She wants our group to stop the Queen from pushing forward with her plan. So that all sounded great, but that's when Dalton, the Queen's assistant, shows up and takes Schala hostage! He leaves with her, leaving us and Janus behind. Melchior says that he can help us stop the Mammon machine by giving Crono a special knife,  Janus disappears during this whole process, and Crono and his friends must reach the Ocean Palace to stop the Queen and the Mammon machine.

To reach the palace, we had to fight Dalton head on. He left Schala with the Queen and the Mammon machine, then stayed behind to guard the entrance. He mentions that there's a prophet that has joined the Queen's ranks, but that's pretty much all I know so far. Fighting Dalton was easy, it was barely a boss fight.

The Ocean Palace is a real dungeon, with tons of different routes to explore, a trove of treasures a hellish horde of enemies. The enemies here are pretty tough, resisting physical damage and being vulnerable to only one type of magic each. I ended up just fighting them with physical attacks and healing through it. I'm pretty sure the save point I used will lead me to the next boss fight!