November 7, 2016

Paper Mario: Color Splash

Date played: November 6th
Platform: Wii U

Well, I won't be able to play this game without my daughter ever again. We played a few levels of it over the weekend and she loves the game, so she asked me to play it only when she's around. We began by going to a new level, a wonderful beach where Toads hangout and relax. Aside from the usual Koopas and Shy-Guys, I also faced a new enemy, Cheep Cheep. These iconic red fish are stronger than the other enemies so far, so I had to use more powerful cards to defeat them.

There's a lot going on at the beach. There's a courageous blue Toad who wants to sail to the edge of the world. There's an Ocean Fest thing happening, where Toads play little games and enjoy cold drinks. I even found Luigi taking a dump in an outhouse! My job was to reach the exclusive, VIP section of the beach to get the mini paint star.

Even a hero needs to relax once in a while!
After a few battles and some exploration, we had to play a game of hide and seek with some green Toads. They hid pretty well, many times using their paper nature to find some great hiding spots. For example, one Toad hid by turning his body 90 degrees, leaving only a slither of paper visible.

Then, I had to pick out a specific Toad out of a line after they danced and shuffled around. The thing is, the little fuckers cheated! To win I had to paint of the Toad's head to prove that there was cheating happening. It was hilarious! This gave me access to the VIP section and the mini paint star.

Another level was set inside a dark cave, crawling with bats and Shy Guys. Swoop, the bats, are a flying enemy, so hammers don't work against them. This whole level was more 2D than what I've seen so far. This opens up a few opportunities for hidden doors hiding in the walls, and other secret passages.

In the cave, I had to find 6 Toads, from the Green Rescue Squad, for them to build a bridge with their bodies for Mario to walk on and reach the mini paint star. Once again, looking for the lost Toads was lots of fun, as they have the most unusual hiding spots. One was even crumpled up into a ball and tossed like a baseball by a pair of Shy Guys!

We then spent some time backtracking and exploring. There are purple Toads to find in various levels, there are colorless areas that need painting and there are some special Toads that can help Mario in his quest. For example, when I went back to the beach level, the blue Toad that wanted to find the edge of the world had crashed his little boat near shore. I had to use a "Fan" object to blow some giant waves and free him. He then discovered his purpose by growing the shape of a key on his head, which will help me unlock the doors to a new level.

It's all completely ridiculous, but it's written in such a charming way that I just love it. The catchy music and funny animations also help to create a great atmosphere.