November 19, 2016

F1 2016 demo

Date played: November 19th
Platform: PS4

For the first time in 20 years, I've been watching F1 racing on television. I've watched every qualifying and race this year, and I'm loving Formula 1 lately. Codemasters has always been amazing at making great racing games, so I was excited to try the demo for F1 2016.

The game is overwhelming in a lot of ways. It's got everything! Tire selection, pit strategy, formation laps, safety cars, DRS, team management, car development, practice, qualifying, pit stops, fuel consumption, it's all there.

There's some really cool stuff in the practice session. For example, you can do a "track acclimatization" event, where you're scored on how fast you are, and how close you are to the racing line. It really helps to learn the tracks. In the demo, the circuit was Australia. I messed around with practice quite a bit, then did qualifying and then the race.

I picked Force India, since they have a decent car, but don't have the huge expectations like Mercedes or Ferrari. My teammate is Sergio Perez, one of my favorite drivers this year. I set up the assists so that there's no auto-braking, but the rest I left at default.
I attempt to pass Raikonnen to earn 4th place

I did rather well in qualifying, placing 7th, 2 spots ahead of Perez. The race was a whole other story. The event was shortened to 15 laps, though I could have raced the full event if I wanted. In the beginning, I did really well. I had a good start and gained 2 positions early on. I even managed to pass both Rosberg and Hamilton for about one lap. I misjudged a corner and dropped to 5th though, then I had to pit for a tire change.

I don't know if I did it wrong, but after the pit stop, I was down to last place in 22nd. I moved my way up the grid, but then when I reached Vettel at around position 10, I pushed him a little bit too hard in a corner and damaged my front wing, forcing me to pit again and screwing up my pit strategy... I still managed to work my way up to 15th place, but that's the best I could do.

F1 2016 seems like a really fucking good game, but it takes a lot of time to play since there's so much management to do. I loved what I played, and if I see if on sale for cheap, I might pick it up.