November 9, 2016

Chrono Trigger

Date played: November 7th and 8th
Platform: Vita

I didn't play very much in the last two days, but it was enough to defeat two bosses and make a bit of progress. When I last stopped, I was in the middle of a big cave where enemies were only susceptible to magic attacks. It turns out, there was a boss in the next room!

Heckran is a scary looking monster with big claws. He can only be damaged by magic attacks and he has a strong counter attack. A message on screen indicates if Heckran is in "counter" mode or if he can be damaged, so I had to pay close attention to it. I had Crono, Lucca and Robo on my team, so healing was kind of difficult. It didn't help that Crono was equipped with a Rage Band, which makes him counter-attack on occasion.

So, while the boss was in counter mode, Crono would sometimes hit him with a counter attack, making the boss attack my team in the process... This meant I had to resort to using tonics to stay alive, though it still wasn't too hard. After the battle, Heckran revealed that Magus had played a role back in 600 A.D.. Through some odd logic, Lucca links Magus to the awakening of Lavos, so we set out to 600 A.D. to stop Magus.

We traveled back in time to 600 A.D. and started looking around. Eventually, we figured out that we needed to reach the Southern continent, but it wasn't accessible because of battles on the bridge. In one of the weirdest scenarios yet, Crono and his friends must go to the castle, convince the chef to give us some jerky and bring that back to the soldiers on the bridge. Silly yes, but soldiers have to eat too don't they?

After giving the jerky, I was allowed to walk on the bridge, but a battle was still raging there. I met Ozzie, a wizard monster of some kind who is clearly a bad guy. He sent out some skeletons after me, then retreated, but not before sending a huge boss our way.
Zombor!
Zombor is a giant skeleton warrior. He has two areas that can be targeted, his head and his legs. While physical attacks worked well enough on him, he was even more vulnerable to magic damage. His legs were vulnerable to fire and water, while the head was vulnerable to shadow and lightning. I took out the head first, which exploded with such force that it damaged my team heavily. Robo healed up my team and we took out the legs easily.