November 6, 2016

Playstation VR family edition

Date played: November 5th
Platform: PSVR

During my family party, I showed off the PSVR to the people who hadn't tried it yet, including my mom, her husband, one of my brothers and my sister-in-law. We ended up playing VR Luge, London Heist, Danger Ball and Ocean Descent from Playstation VR Worlds. We then played a bit of Playroom VR for the cat and mouse game, and the sheriff game.

The best moment was when my mom played Ocean Descent. It was her first VR experience, and she was VERY expressive while playing it. She screamed, she jumped, she laughed and she got scared, it was really funny to watch for my whole family!

Danger Ball was a hit with my brother, who loved smashing his head around to score some goals. My brothers also tried VR Luge, a game I can't quite stomach due to motion sickness. I think this game is one of the weaker ones, they all felt a little weird after taking off the headset. They still enjoyed sliding down the streets in the little street luge, but it was clearly one of the "bad" games.

London Heist was a request from one of my brothers, who wanted to try a game where the two Move controllers was used. We played the shootout at the jewelry, I did it once, then he did it once also. He was very impressed with the accuracy of the shooting and the feeling the game gave. He also found the short sequence to be quite a workout, as you have to dodge around quickly with your head and body.

Finally, at my daughter's request, we booted up Playroom VR. She played the cat for a round, with other members of my family playing the mice. Then, my mom's husband played the cat. His reaction was fucking priceless, and he loved every moment of it.
The cat and mouse game was a huge hit with everyone
Then my sister-in-law played the sheriff in the cowboy game. She was funny, but mostly because she was in a hurry to shoot the bad guys before being 100% sure she had the right target. It was great!

Overall, it's clear that everyone enjoyed trying the headset on and were impressed by the technology and the potential. We even ended up talking about the possibilities of the tech in the future, like drawing, sculpting, architecture, etc.