November 15, 2016

Super Mega Baseball Extra Innings

Date played: November 14th
Platform: Xbox One

I have no idea how I ended up playing this game last night... I had downloaded it to Xbox One a while back, as part of the free games with gold, but never really intended to play it. Last night, I turned on my Xbox by accident, picking up the wrong controller, and saw this game in my list, so for some weird reason, I booted it up.
The Beewolves vs the Sirloins
Super Mega Baseball is a cartoonish baseball game, but it plays a lot like the more serious games. It's got a great art style, with characters that would feel right at home in a Saturday morning cartoon. The animation is wonderful too, as it even communicates the players' state of mind. For example, a stressed out pitcher will visibly sweat, and if the pressure gets too high, he'll have steam coming out of his ears! It's funny, but it's also a great way to communicate information to the player.

Batting is fun, simple and a little difficult, as it should be. There are power shots, bunts and regular hits, though aiming is kind of weird. Pitching is even better, with multiple pitch types and a little reticule that increases the pitch's quality when I align the cursor correctly.

Fielding is the worst part of the game, mainly because the characters kind of move on their own and getting them to catch the ball is hit or miss. There's like a slow motion camera on certain hits, where I'm supposed to be able to catch the ball with a fielder, but I've missed these every time. I must have been pressing the wrong button or something.

I'm surprised that I enjoyed a baseball game! Super Mega Baseball is charming, fast, easy to pick up and generally plays well. I just wish I understood fielding...