November 6, 2016

Paper Mario: Color Splash

Date played: November 5th
Platform: Wii U

I played one more level of Color Splash with my daughter. The level was set near a lake and was filled with little bridges, docks and waterwheels. There were some new enemies also, including some "stackers". Shy Guys would stack together in a group, making one stronger enemy. I had to use attacks that hit multiple times in one turn. I also learned how to use two cards per turn, making combat a lot more interesting and complex.

Another new ability is a "cutout" skill. In specific portions of the world, Mario can use scissors to cut some of the scenery and traverse the world in unintended ways. For example, I cut away the sky on top of a mountain, which let me walk on the mountain and reach a new area. It's a cool mechanic.

The objective of the level was to rescue a Toad that was being blown away by strong winds. Hysterically, he lost his boots, vest and pants in the process, so I had to find these things in the level before he would exit his hiding spot. The Toad then used some special powers to help us grab a paint star.
Roshambo!
Finally, we played a side level called "Roshambo", which is basically Rock Paper Scissors. Using clues I gathered from the residents, I was able to deduce the right move to use against a Goomba, a Shy-Guy and a Koopa, and earned tons of cash. Color Splash is still hilarious and tons of fun, it's better than I expected so far.