November 4, 2016

Chrono Trigger

Date played: November 2nd
Platform: Vita

So, I got it wrong. Crono was being accused of kidnapping Marle (he fucking saved her ass!). I then played one of the game's most iconic scenes, the trial. What's great about it is that the player's actions during the opening sequence at the Millenial Fair are remembered and have an influence on the outcome of the trial.

Thankfully, I remembered most of the big stuff and dealt with it during the fair. For example, I didn't steal the man's lunch and I brought the cat back to the little girl. I also spoke to Marle before picking up her pendant, which would have been a great way to accuse Crono of being nothing but a petty thief. I still fucked up a few of the answers, but I still managed a non-guilty verdict.

The Chancellor, outraged at the verdict, still threw me in jail for 3 days, and told the guards I was to be executed when he was out of sight of other royal authorities. I was led to jail and escaped by fooling the guards into opening the cell. Marle joined me shortly after, rebelling against her royal heritage and dragging Crono along. Lucca joined too. I spent a bit of time fighting through the castle with them, then fought another boss.
Crono slices off the Dragon Tank's head
The Dragon Tank battle is iconic and usually fondly remembered by anyone who has played the game. The mechanical dragon has three parts, a body, a head and a wheel. The head heals the Dragon Tank, so it must be taken out quickly. The wheel launches a powerful attack that hits hard, so it's the second target. Finally, the body is the last to go down.

We escaped into the forest, but were cornered by guards. Thankfully, a time portal was nearby, so we jumped in, not knowing where it would take us. When we got out of the gate, we were in the far future...