November 14, 2016

Chrono Trigger

Date played: November 13th
Platform: Vita

Crono, Frog and Robo carry the Masamune sword to a nearby mountain where Magus is rumored to have built his castle. However, a big cliff stops their progress. Frog has a bit of a flashback, revealing his true name to be Glenn, and that he was transformed into a frog by Magus. After the flashback, Frog decides to finally wield the Masamune, which he uses to split open the fucking mountain and make a path to Magus' castle!

The castle was one of the coolest and longest dungeons yet. I fought many enemies here, many of which are only vulnerable to magic. It was pretty long too, with many different rooms, all filled with enemies. In the process, I defeated 3 mini bosses.

Slash is the guitarist from Guns and Roses a soldier loyal to Magus. He uses physical attacks and doesn't really do anything special. He just hits hard. I kept my team alive with Robo's heals, with Frog healing once in awhile if needed. Flea is the bassist from Red Hot Chili Peppers a wizard that uses many debuff spells. He's got poisons, sleep darts, the works. Finally, Ozzie is the legendary lead singer for Black Sabbath a cowardly wizard that uses many tricks and traps to slow down Crono and his team. His battle was super weird... He hid in an ice block, sending out counter-attacks when I attacked him. To beat him, I had to target the switches around the battle, which wasn't obvious.
Magus and Frog
With the trio of wizards taken care of, I could finally face Magus. I remember this battle from my childhood as being very difficult. However, it turns out that my reading skills were pretty bad back then, so when I beat him last night, it wasn't very difficult at all. The trick is that Magus is only vulnerable to one type of damage at a time. This is displayed on screen in a little text window, so as long as I was paying attention, I could damage Magus.

I beat him, but then something fucking weird happened. A time portal opened up and swallowed up Crono and his team, along with Magus. We woke up in Ayla's house in 65 million B.C. of all places, but Magus isn't around. Word is, there's a giant fire raging in the village to the North, so I'll check it out next!