January 7, 2016

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Date played: January 6th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I love the Zelda series, though there's always a few games that piss me off, like Majora's Mask and the two NES releases. Back in the GBA and Gamecube days, there was a multiplayer Zelda game, Four Swords, and while it was really difficult to get a group together due to the nature of multiplayer games during that era, I loved it the few times I got to play it with others. Tri Force Heroes is kind of the spiritual successor to those, so I was pretty excited to play it, but I didn't want to play it with strangers.

When my friend received the game for Christmas, I decided it was a good opportunity to play it. Last night, we played together through the first area of the game, a forest. The tricky thing about this game is that it requires 3 players to play, so we were joined by a stranger. The structure is kind of odd too... There are basically 4 sets of areas in the forest, and each of these has about 4 rooms.

The key move in the game is a "totem" of heroes, where players can pick up each other and built a tower to reach higher areas and attack taller enemies. It works pretty well and it requires pretty damn good coordination from each player. There are also items to pick up, like the bow and bombs, but a player can only hold one of these, so each player ends up with an item "task" in many of the levels.

The four areas we played were all pretty cool. We rode on floating platforms, built totems to attack enemies and reach higher areas, fought a few bosses and solved some little puzzles. I really like using the bombs so far, more than the bow. Our stranger friend was competent too, so that helped us. We did die once, but we learned from our mistakes and didn't die again the whole evening.

One of the most important elements is the weird, yet efficient communication system. On the touch screen, there are about 8 different messages that can be sent to other players. For example, I can shout at someone "Over here!", or show them that we should build a totem and there's even some cute cheers. It works surprisingly well and makes it easier to succeed.

There's a story to this, but it's some of the most awful fucking garbage I've seen in a while. Basically, we must bring style back to a princess that is all about fashion. I barely read anything that scrolled onscreen since it was so terrible...
The Bib Bomb Outfit is badass!
Finally, there are outfits to build that grant special abilities. To build them, materials and rupees have to be collected. The materials are randomly doled out when completing an area, creating a reason to go back to completed levels. There's also a challenge mode that increases difficulty, but I haven't tried that yet. I picked up the Big Bomb outfit and the Kokiri outfit. I like Triforce Heroes, but once I get to see all the areas, I'm not sure it will be able to keep my interest, though it's always fun to play with a friend.